PO Box 1112, Redmond, OR 97756, US

Computer Aided Drafting Design

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

Who do I use a Designer or an Architect?

Residential  Designers are responsible for transforming the building needs and desires of their clients into realistic blueprints, layouts and plans for execution. They must understand municipal codes and local, state and federal building regulations when designing and planning their projects.  Generally, No Professional License is required. (In most states).    Designers will usually charge much less than an Architect.  

Architects can do the same thing as a Designer.   The only real difference is an Architect has a college degree and is required to have a state license.  With greater education comes greater fees.

Architects generally prefer more commercial projects as churches, malls, schools.

Can you design a house plan to be built outside of Oregon?

Yes.   In most cases there are no licensing for home designers in any of the States.   

Occasionally,  there may be a requirement for a Structural Engineer registered in your state to review the plans, stamp and sign the plans.  

I have drawn plans to be built in many different state as well as a few in Mexico and Costa Rica. 

If I'm out of state how do we do the Interview?

Communications today is so much easier than in the past!   We can do the interview portion of the design process over the phone, skype, facetime, etc.  Scanning, sending photos of your sketches, texting or emailing are very efficient ways to communicate. 

I can send you designs in a PDF format to view on your computer or phone. Or directly to a local print shop for paper copies.  

How much do you charge?

For New Construction, I charge by the square foot of living space.   This way you'll have pretty good idea upfront what the project is going to cost.   Kitchen, Great Room, Bedrooms, Bathrooms......Usually do not charge for Garage space.   

For Additions, I generally charge a flat fee that will be determined upfront. 

If other service are needed, such as a Structural Engineer or a Surveyor, their fees will be charge as a third party separate from my fee. 

When and how do I pay you?


  • A Deposit (based on estimated sq. ft. of plan) at the time of signing a contract. 
  • Second payment at the time of approval of the Preliminary Plans.
  • Final (remaining amount) to be paid at completion and delivery of the Construction Documents.

Payment Methods:

  • Personal Check
  • Cash
  • Major Credit Card (add 3% processing fee)

Do I get a builder's discount when building multiple plans?

Yes!  We can develop a re-use fee for plans after the first build when doing a subdivision.   As well as develop multiple elevations for the same plan.  And be available for client revisions.

Do you have Stock Plans for sale?

Yes!   Let me know what you're looking for (number of Bedrooms, Bathrooms, Square Footage & Size)  and I'll look to see if I have anything matching your criteria.   

Stock Plans are sold at a flat fee basis and for a 1 time use.

Who owns the plans?

It is customary that we (The Cadd Station) owns the Copy Right for the plans. You're able to build the plan one time on the site indicated in the Construction Documents (unless previously agreed upon at the time of signing the contract).  

How do we begin a home design?

Call: 541) 848-7605  

Email:  cadman@thecaddstaton.com

Appointment:  Make an appointment online.   

It is helpful if you have an idea of what you're looking for in a new home.   Here are some items to think about:

  • Style of home.   Craftsman, Renaissance,  Northwest Traditional, Modern........
  • How big do you want?  How many square feet?  How many Bedrooms, Bathrooms.......
  • What's the maximum size home that will fit on your lot?
  • Master Suite on the Main Level or upstairs?
  • Is there a neighborhood Plan Review Committee to submit the plans to for approval?
  • Are there any CC & R's as guidelines?

These are a few of the questions you'll be asked during the interview process.